Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Just get to know them...

So today I was waiting to see my Doctor and this elderly woman walks, slowly, into the office with who I am assuming is her care giver and there was one seat left beside me that was closest to where you go to see the doctor. So the care giver told the woman to sit next to me because it was closest. I told the woman to take my seat so she could sit next to her and I'd just move to the other side - I didn't mind at all! So then then the care giver said wow, you don't see that happen too often and gave a little chuckle and then said her mother raised her right! And I giggled and told the woman I'd tell my mommy she said that :) Which I did! I think they thought I was maybe a teenager and they probably have a slightly assuming attitude about the teenagers in society today and maybe, just maybe, I showed them that the vast majority of teenagers are great, caring, involved in their community kind of people; even though I'm not a teenager I think it still had a an effect :) I'm lucky enough, as a student teacher working at a high school teaching PE, to see how great teenagers can be!!! The stereotype of teenagers = trouble really bothers teens and I wish people wouldn't assume things about them and instead get to know them as a fellow human being :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's always nice to help soften a poor stereotype :)